May 30, 2024  
2022-2023 Catalog 
2022-2023 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


We recommend students meet with an academic counselor prior to their first semester at College of Eastern Idaho. Degree-seeking students will be required to attend a new student orientation, called SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising and Registration).

Academic Advising

The Office of Academic Advising provides academic advising services, major exploration, career planning and support for CEI students, faculty, and staff. Advising is available for all students in any program at CEI. Student success is our main priority. Our main goal is to make sure we have placed you in the right direction so you will be able to achieve your overall college and career goals.

All degree seeking students are assigned an academic advisor(s) during the first semester of their program. The advisor assigned can assist with career preparation, course selection, transfer, and general mentorship. A student that is unsure of who his/her academic advisor is can consult Self-Service or the Advising Office. Career and Technical Education students who are completing prerequisites or general-education courses and have not started their required program courses should also meet with their assigned advisor. During the Summer semester and academic breaks, students may also consult the Advising Office regarding academic advising.

General education students will be reassigned Faculty Mentors after they earn more than 30 credits. Their Faculty Mentor will have an educational background in line with the student’s educational goal. Students are still welcome to seek advising at the Advising Office after they have been reassigned their Faculty Mentor. It is the responsibility of the student to seek advising when it is needed and to be aware of enrollment deadlines.

Change of Program

Degree-seeking students declare a major pathway during the admissions process. Purposefully selecting and declaring a major pathway helps a student clarify his or her educational goals.

Degree-seeking students should meet with an advisor before deciding to change a program, as changing a previously declared major pathway may affect eligibility for financial aid and veterans benefits. It may also increase the time it takes to complete a degree or certificate.

To change a program, a currently enrolled student must complete the “Intent to Change or Add Program” form.

If a student is on probation and changes to another program, the probation status is transferred to the new program. Students entering a new program after academic dismissal enter on academic probation.

Please refer to Academic Standards   for more information on Academic Probation.

Transfer Office

Students who are looking to transfer to another university are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor to make sure they are taking the correct courses needed for their bachelor’s degree. After this, students should meet with the Transfer Office so university advisors can assist them when transferring.