May 30, 2024  
2023-2024 Catalog 
2023-2024 Catalog


We recommend students meet with an academic advisor prior to their first semester at College of Eastern Idaho. Degree-seeking students are required to complete a new student orientation called SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising and Registration).

Academic Advising

The Office of Academic Advising provides in-depth class selection and registration, major pathway and technical education exploration. Advising is available for all students in any program at CEI. Our main goal is to make sure we guide students in the right direction so they will be able to achieve their overall college and career goals.

All degree seeking students are assigned an academic advisor(s) during the first semester of their program. The advisor assigned can assist with career preparation, course selection, transfer, and general mentorship. A student that is unsure of who his/her academic advisor is can consult Self-Service or the Advising Office. Career and Technical Education students who are completing prerequisites or general-education courses and have not started their required program courses should also meet with their assigned advisor. During the summer semester and academic breaks, students may also consult the Advising Office.

It is the responsibility of the student to seek advising when it is needed and to be aware of enrollment deadlines.

Change of Program

Degree-seeking students declare a program of study during the admissions process. Purposefully selecting and declaring a program of study helps a student clarify his or her educational goals.

Degree-seeking students should meet with an advisor before deciding to change a program, as changing a previously declared program of study may affect eligibility for financial aid and veterans benefits. It may also increase the time it takes to complete a degree or certificate.

To change a program, a currently enrolled student must complete the Intent to Change or Add Program form.

If a student is on academic probation and changes to another program, the academic probation status is transferred to the new program. Students entering a new program after academic dismissal enter on academic probation.

Please refer to Academic Standards   for more information on academic probation.

Transfer Office

Students who are looking to transfer to another college or university are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor to make sure they are taking the correct courses needed for credits to transfer. Students should contact the appropiate academic advisor in the transfer office or at the instution they plan to attend.